Scarica l’app LiveinRiviera.IT!

App Store Google Play
Tiberius Bridge
National Monument

Imposing construction of the Roman period, the bridge was erected over the river Marecchia by decree of the Emperor August; his successor Tiberius (14 - 21 A.D.) brought its set-up to an end.
This five-arch Doric bridge covered by Istria stone is one of the most remarkable existing Roman bridges as well as an important example of the Romans' technical skill.  The foundations of each pylon are not disjoint from one another but placed on a functional system of wooden poles, so as to ensure more complete stability. The pylons are also equipped with breakwater spurs, oblique to the axis road to mitigate the impact of the current, going along with the trend.
As a matter of fact the bridge is still used by the urban traffic today.
The bridge is at the beginning of two Roman consular roads, the Via Aemilia, built in 187 BC by Consul Aemilius Lepidus, linked Rimini to Piacenza and the Via Popilius leding to Ravenna, upto Aquileia and at the end of Corso d'Augusto.

Getting there: City center by car: Motorway A14 "Rimini Sud" Exit; straight ahead direction "Rimini centro" for about 3 km. Useful parking areas: 1) Piazza Malatesta; 2) Rocca Malatestiana; 3) Ponte di Tiberio; 4) Largo Gramsci. By train: from the railway station straight ahead upto Piazza Tre Martiri, then turn right following Corso d'Augusto. By air: Bus n. 9, bus stop Arco d'Augusto or Railway Station.

Additional notes: Since 1885 Tiberio bridge has been considered national monument.

Tourist area: adriatic coast



Corso d'Augusto - Rimini