It preserves thousand-year testimonies for the cultural identity of Rimini
A short walk through the streets of the city centre will take you to Piazza Ferrari, where the Church of Suffrage, built by the Jesuits (1719-1740) in honour of San Francesco Saverio can be found.
Beside it there is the Jesuit monastery (1746-1755) designed by an architect from Bologna, Alfonso Torreggiani.
From 1797 to 1977 it was used as a hospital, first military and then civil, and it now houses the City Museum, with numerous exhibits of local historical-artistic heritage. The course, which will be completed once the building is fully restored, follows chronological criteria from the formation of the territory to the current day.
There are more than 1500 works on display in 40 galleries on a total of 3,000 square metres. The number of exhibits is going to increase because new sections are scheduled to be opened.
On the ground floor there is an area dedicated to Renè Gruau, a famous contemporary fashion designer from Rimini, deceased in March 2004. The space dedicated to the artist in the Museum of the City, will be temporarily closed from Tuesday, 25th February 2014 and it will be reopened on the occasion of the first edition of the Biennale Disegno, the exhibition of drawings which will be set up in Rimini from 12th April to 8th May 2014, in which Rene Gruau's works will be featured among those of other the artists on display.
In the garden-courtyard there is a Roman Lapidary, which contains an epigraphic collection of about one hundred Roman inscriptions.
In October 2012 a space dedicated to Federico Fellini has opened in Rimini City Museum where the “Libro dei sogni” (the Book of dreams) is hosted. The book contains the two on which Fellini drew and sketched, since the early sixties to 1990, his dreams, figures, scenaries and circumstances which can be found in his films. The volumes are kept in two glass theca, but in order to browse them there are available a facsimile edition by Rizzoli and the digital one by Guaraldi.
In 2010 was opened the new part of the Archaeological Section situated in the ancient cellar of the Museum. An exhibition on the extraordinary story of Rimini, from prehistory to the end of Late Antiquity. The archaeological section continues on the ground floor, dedicated to the Imperial Rimini between the II and III century, with exhibition of splendid mosaics from the domus Diotallevi palace, as well as sculptures, ceramics, plaster decorations, coins, glass items, bronzes and last but not least the exceptional exhibition of the surgical instrument equipment from the "Domus del Chirurgo" in Piazza Ferrari. The archaeological section gives a view of Rimini from its origins to the Middle Ages, presenting a flourishing and peaceful city during the Roman Empire, a period which was tragically interrupted by the first barbarian invasions.
The first and second floors house the Pinacoteca picture gallery with works dating from the Municipal era to 1900 including masterpieces from the fourteenth century Rimini school.
On the first floor there are frescoes, ceramics and paintings on wood from the 15th and 16th centuries that tell the story of Renaissance art: works commissioned by the Malatesta family, lords of Rimini, such as Giovanni Bellini's famous Pietà and the Pala by Domenico Ghirlandaio.
A 14th century fresco called "the Last Judgement", which once hung on a wall over the triumphal arch in Sant'Agostino Church, can be admired in the conference room . The painting is the work of artists from Rimini who were perhaps led by Giuliano and Giovanni da Rimini.
Also on the first floor of the building is the Medieval section which contains 300 finds, sculptures, illuminated codices and other works of art, such as some important masterpieces of the 14th century Rimini school and of Malatestian Humanism.
On the second floor art and sculpture produced in Rimini between the 17th and the 19th centuries are on display together with the works of famous artists including Guido Cagnacci, Il Centino, Il Guercino, Simone Cantarini and Giovan Battista Costa .
After 2000 years, the archaeological site of the Surgeon’s Domus has open to the public under an enormous crystal glass covering next to the City Museum. A little Pompeii in the city centre, which has already become famous in the world owing to its unique archaeological finds and to one of the richest surgical and pharmaceutical equipment of the ancient time, now kept in the museum.
The archaeological area in Piazza Ferrari came to light in 1989, during work on the municipal gardens. The chance unearthing of a number of Roman ruins was followed, up to 2006, by systematic excavations. Preliminary probes and stratigraphic excavations have brought to light an area covering a surface measuring more than 700 square metres.
In addition other finds of archaeological interest were unearthed, i.e. traces of flooring made of crushed potsherd fragments probably dating from a Late Republic period dwelling, as well as evidence of Early Medieval settlement, remains of several buildings from the 16th - 18th centuries, including a number of stone wells and corn silos originally belonging to the churches of San Patrignano and the Religious House of the "Convertite" (a charitable order of nuns looking after penitent prostitutes).
All the uncovered remains, preserved on a site museum basis, provides the picture of exceptional historical and urban stratification bearing witness to 2000 years of local history.
via L.Tonini, n. 1 - Rimini centro storico
Orario feriale: da martedì a sabato: 9.30 - 13 / 16 - 19
Orario festivo: domenica e festivi: 10 - 19
Chiusura settimanale: lunedì (non festivi)
Periodo di apertura: annuale
Aperto al pubblico anche durante il periodo pasquale, natalizio e in occasione di particolari festività come Ferragosto (15 agosto).